June is the pre-party to the party. The official kickoff month of summer. Schools out, the weather is hot, and the trees are all covered in their green foliage. June conjures up thoughts of lazy afternoons, fresh lemonade, and taking a dive into an ice-cold pool on a scorching hot day.
June, You’re Perfect.
I’ve always thought of summer as a passing season, boring and uneventful. Her sole purpose was to bridge us from Spring to Fall. I definitely did not look forward to it like I did the Fall. But I eventually became a homeowner, and then later a mother. It was through these roles that I found a new appreciation for the summer months. Warmer days meant longer walks, outdoor entertaining, and slowing down a bit. My husband has taken on the role of Master Gardner, and as his side apprentice, we have been able to spend quality time outdoors in the garden, watering the flowers and planting. After a long day, we go outside and enjoy some after-hour, kid-free conversations on the patio over a glass of Cabernet (okay, a bottle). It’s a perfect way to finish up the day and enjoy the extra hours of daylight we have been given. I think Chesney said it best:
“it’s a smile, it’s a kiss, it’s a sip of wine … it’s summertime!”
― Kenny Chesney
20 INSPIRATIONS FOR JUNE: FOOD, FAMILY & FUN
- Celebrate with the kids the Last Day of School. Do something special like going out to lunch, getting ice-cream, or staying up past bedtime.
- Go on a Picnic at the Park. If you always go to the same park look for a new park to checkout.
- Pick up a giant watermelon and slice it up. Chill it overnight in the fridge and eat it outside on a hot day.
- Try out a new salad for a BBQ or Pot Luck.
- Pick up some red and white checkered napkins to add some BBQ chic to your table.
- Celebrate the first day of summer with a water fight.
- Look for an awesome dessert recipe to make for the Fourth of July.
- Gather flowers from your garden and display them around the house.
- Create a summer playlist.
- Drive around as the sun is setting listening to your summer playlist (Better yet , make it a Slurpee run).
- Plant an herb garden. Try out new herbs and some classics. If you like Mojitos, don’t forget to add fresh mint to the list.
- Enjoy a summer cocktail, tea, or wine on your porch or patio to appreciate the added hours of daylight.
- Pick up some marshmallows, graham crackers and chocolates. Make s’mores around the campfire. Try out fun flavor combinations, like Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, and Twix.
- Go for a midnight swim under the stars.
- Summer is the season of romance, pick up some romantic fictions books to enjoy by the pool, or on the patio.
- Buy some sparklers to get the party started early this year.
- Go to a place that you have never been. Pack up the family. Make a day of it.
- Hang your sheets out to line dry to bring in the smell of fresh air.
- Pick up a bag of lemons and make a pitcher of homemade lemonade.
- Get a manicure and pedicure to kick off flip flop season.
Preparing for Baby Free Printables