I really enjoy coming up with New Year’s Resolutions. I think it’s the perfect time to set new goals and do some self reflection; to challenge your status quo. My birthday is in the few weeks leading up to the New Year so for me self reflection and the New Year go hand in hand. When coming up with my goals, some years I plan for a reinvention, some years I keep it simple.
January is the month of new beginnings. After spending the last few months celebrating with friends and family, it seems fitting to keep the celebration flowing right into the January weeks. Since January marks the official days of winter, it’s easy to go into hibernation mode. With this transition in mind, I find there is no better time to reinvent, transform, or challenge oneself. Here’s why:
1. Mentality it feels like a fresh start. The inertia for new beginnings is all ready in full swing. January is a month of renewal. It’s much easier to keep the ball going once it’s already rolling.
2. You will usually have other friends or family that also have something they resolve to work on. It can be a great bonding experience. Support from loved ones helps push you toward your goals when you find yourself unmotivated.
The Difference Between a Goal & a Dream:
To quote Cinderella, “A dream is a wish your heart makes.” On the other hand, a goal is written down. It has deadlines, realistic calls to action, check in’s and looks really good in a bullet journal. But to find the best synergy between your dreams and goals, you must allow yourself to Challenge YOUR status quo.
If I find a goal of mine is not coming to fruition, it is usually because I am not challenging my status quo. Many times it’s not because I don’t want to challenge my status quo, but because I neglect to do it properly.
Often our status quo makes up the very fibers of our conscious and unconscious decisions. For this purpose alone, to properly make a change towards a life changing alteration it requires a shift in paradigm.
But that’s not all.
Not only does it require a mental break in habitual patterns, but it requires commitment. Having an epiphany will encourage you to try something differently, but ultimately commitment to the change will see navigate you towards your goals.
Don’t make the mistake of not challenging your status quo.
How do you challenge your Status Quo?
Seeking, Learning, & Being Open Minded.
First, we must seek what we are looking for. Sometimes we don’t know what we are looking for or wanting to change. I find this by taking some quite time. For me, it will be going for a walk somewhere that inspires me, a new smell, going to a book store, and reading.
The Alchemist is a wonderful and inspirational book if you don’t know where to start. It’s a very easy read.
Learning. This is important when it comes to our goals. A lot of times we create goals but fail because we don’t have the proper knowledge or support to attain them. Here are some good ways to close that learning gap:
• Find A Mentor—Someone who is already doing what you are trying to accomplish. They can be there to support you and help you through your goals.
• Call in an Expert—Perhaps you don’t have a mentor, but you can find an expert. It may be through paid classes or services, but when you really want to push yourself, sometimes you need someone who can challenge you in ways you didn’t know you could be challenged.
• Utilize Online Resources & Tutorials—We are fortunate to live in a time where so much information is readily available on sites such as YouTube and Pinterest.
• Join a Support Network—A group of people who are doing what you are doing.
• Go to a Seminar—The energy at seminar is unreal. There is something about a group full of people coming together for a positive change that just radiates at a motivational seminar. This is also a great way to connect and find inspiration if your not sure where to start.
• Read— Books, Books, Books!
Here are a few popular recommendations:
A New Year’s Resolution gives us permission to look at where we are and where we want to be. With a New Year comes a New Start. It allows us to forgive our past, and move forward with our future. It allows us to challenge our status quo and the spirit of challenges is in the air!
Read Next: Post Holiday January To-Do List – Getting Your Adult Life in Order.
Join me over coffee with household tips, money savings and holiday fun.