Valentine’s Day mini apple pies are the perfect dessert to share with a loved one. These have all of goodness of an apple pie served up in a cute heart shape.
These are buttery, brown sugar and cinnamon coated Granny Smith apples, wrapped up in a heart shaped flakey pie. I used these Wilton cookie cutters to get the heart shape.
Watch the Video:
Delicious Valentine’s Day Mini Apple Pies
Dice Apples and add lemon juice. Mix in brown sugar, melted butter, cinnamon, and a dash of salt.
Using a rolling pin Roll out puff pastry on lightly floured surface. Use Heart shape cookie cutters to cutout an even amount of pie cutouts.
When making these I first did the large heart cut out. I had more apple mixture left then pastry, so I bought more pastry and used the smaller hearts to finish off the apples.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. I like the parchment paper sheets because they are easy to lay down, no sizing required. Fill the heart cutouts with apple pie filling, leaving about a 1/2 inch border.
Beat an egg and use as an egg wash around the perimeter of the pie.
After egg wash is brushed around the pie, layer a heart on top. Then crimp down with a fork sealing the border.
Brush the mini apple pies with beaten egg and finish with a light sprinkle of salt.
Add three small slits or a cute heart cutout in the middle of the pie.
Bake for 18- 21 minutes at 400F until pies are golden and flakey.
Mix powdered sugar with milk to get desired consistency for frosting. Start with 1/4 cup of powdered sugar and 2 teaspoons of milk. Add more milk (1/2teaspoon at a time) if needed.
Drizzle the pies with frosting and add sprinkles.
Taste test and share with loved ones on Valentine’s Day!
Valentine’s Day Apple Pies
These heart apple pies make a perfect Valentine’s Day treat. They bring the warmth of apple pie in an adorable heart shape.
- 4 medium Granny Smith apples, diced
- 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice
- 3 Tablespoons of melted unsalted butter
- 1/4 Cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- Puff pastry, thawed (2- 4 rolls depending on size of heart shape).
- 1 Egg (beaten)
- 1/4 Cup of powdered sugar + 2 Teaspoons of milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degres F
- Mix apples and lemon juice
- Add melted butter, brown sugar and cinnamon to apple mixture with a pinch of salt. Stir to coat evenly (if you use salted butter, skip the salt)
- Roll out the thawed puff pastry on a lightly floured surface. Use a rolling pin to smooth out the puff pastry. Use cookie cutters to get desired shape(s)
- Place heart cutouts on a parchment lined baking sheet, leaving an inch between each one.
- Fill cutouts with apple filling, leaving about 1/2 inch around the border
- Brush egg around the 1/2 inch border and place another heart cutout on top. Use a fork to crimp the edges to make sure no filling escapes. Place three small slits the middle of the pie
- Brush with egg and a dash of salt
- Bake for about 18-21 minutes until golden brown
- Let cool on a cooling rack.
- Once cool drizzle with frosting mixture of 1/4 cup powdered sugar + 2 teaspoons of milk (If frosting is to thick add 1/2 teaspoon of milk at a time). Add any sprinkles.